Ginger Jar Food
Thursday, April 29th, 2010
Penne with gorgonzola, spinach & pine nuts
What a classic combination; rich, salty gorgonzola with crunchy pine nuts and irony spinach. This is a speedy pasta dish for a quick supper, serve it with a crisp green salad and fresh bread to mop up the cheesy sauce.
Time to table: 20 mins
1 onion, finely chopped
A knob of butter
15ml olive oil
200ml dry white wine
100 – 150g gorgonzola
100ml double cream
50g baby spinach
50g pine nuts
Handful of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Penne pasta, enough for 2 people
- Boil a large pan of salted water, add enough pasta for 2 people and cook until al dente.
- Heat a small pan and toast the pine nuts until lightly golden, keep to one side.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan and add the onion, gently sweat the onion until it’s soft and without colour. Turn up the heat and deglaze the pan with the white wine (if you haven’t got wine just use a ladle or two of pasta water). Allow the liquid to bubble away, stir in the cream and allow to reduce (thicken) slightly.
- Drain the cooked pasta and add to the sauce. Stir in the spinach and allow this to wilt.
- Once all of the pasta is coated in the sauce, stir in most of the chunks of gorgonzola, reserving some for later, and allow it to melt slightly. Add half of the pine nuts and the parsley, stir through.
- Pile the pasta onto plates and scatter the remaining gorgonzola and pine nuts on top
ENJOY! Ginger Jar x
Find out more about Ginger Jar’s cookery lessons…